What is Ontario Laboratories Information System (OLIS) Deployment?
The Ontario Laboratories Information System (OLIS) is a system that connects hospitals, community laboratories, public health laboratories and practitioners to facilitate the secure electronic exchange of laboratory test orders and results. Clinicians using an OntarioMD-certified electronic medical record (EMR) can access the latest lab results for their patients or perform patient queries.
OLIS Deployment is a service provided by OntarioMD on behalf of eHealth Ontario to connect community-based family physicians, specialists and nurse practitioners using a certified EMR to OLIS.
What are the benefits of OLIS?
- Family physicians, specialists, hospitals, home care long-term care facilities can all access patients' lab information
- Family physicians using OntarioMD-certified EMRs can access patient lab results quickly to identify trends from lab histories and manage patients with chronic diseases more effectively
- Fewer visits to the lab for unnecessary or duplicate laboratory tests
- Timely access to patient lab information for improved decision-making
- More comprehensive and complete laboratory test information
- Better coordination of care between multiple practitioners and within health care teams
- Easily integrated into workflows and no need to wait for paper lab results to arrive
Who can get OLIS?
Any community-based physician or nurse practitioner using an OntarioMD-certified EMR can get OLIS. If you have a certified EMR, talk to your OntarioMD Practice Advisor to get started.
How do I get OLIS?
Contact your OntarioMD Practice Advisor to initiate OLIS deployment in your practice. If you are a certified EMR user and do not yet have an OntarioMD Practice Advisor, please e-mail OntarioMD at email@example.com.