Overview: Training to protect your patient and practice data
Health care professionals are relying on an ever-increasing array of new digital health tools. OntarioMD (OMD) helps the health care sector realize the benefits of technology and is the leader in providing unique, customized education on accountability obligations and risks these tools may bring. We are pleased to offer two comprehensive privacy and security training modules. Both modules offer the ability to track completion and a generate a certificate upon completion:
- OMD Privacy & Security Training Module for the Health Care Sector - This thorough training on key privacy and cybersecurity issues can be used by health care providers working in primary and acute care settings. It covers privacy legislation, i.e., the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA), your obligations under the Act, the dos and don'ts for protecting personal health information (PHI) from breaches and security incidents, and original cybersecurity content and scenarios informed by real-world clinician experiences.
- OMD Virtual Care Privacy & Security Training Module – Covers what primary care clinicians need to know about privacy and security when delivering virtual care, including applicable legislation, consent requirements, and privacy policies in the context of virtual care.
Steps to Access the OMD Privacy & Security Modules:
- Click the 'Launch Privacy and Security Training Now' button.
- Log into your OntarioMD.ca account. If you don't have one, click 'Register here' and create one. Physicians will need their OMA number to complete the registration process.
- You'll be taken to the training Catalogue. Click on the 'Begin' button beside the training module you'd like to complete. Each module is available in English or French.
- Go through each module at your own pace. You can stop and pick up where you left off at any time.
- Print your certificate and keep it as proof of training and a reminder to take the training again next year.
Need help accessing the training? Consult the Quick Reference for instructions or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Earn Certificates and CME Credits
Complete both modules to receive a certificate for each one. The certificates attest that you've successfully completed the training. Use them as reminders to take the training annually to fulfill your annual privacy and security training requirements, and to keep up to date on leading practices and the latest cyberthreats.
Family physicians: Receive 2 Mainpro+ credits from the College of Family Physicians of Canada's (CFPC) Ontario Chapter for each module. Claim the credits on the CFPC website.
Specialists: Receive 2 credits under the Royal College Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program as a Section 2: Personal Learning Project for each module. Claim the credits by recording these modules in their MAINPORT ePortfolio on the Royal College's website and complete at least one learning outcome.
Community-based clinicians: Completion of the OMD Privacy & Security Training Module for the Health Care Sector module is required to access provincial digital health assets, such as Health Report Manager (HRM®) and the Ontario Laboratories Information System (OLIS).
Other Clinicians and Staff: Create an account for OMD Privacy & Security Training Modules only. Access is open to health professionals and administrative staff working in a clinical setting. Click the button below to create an account. Please refer to the user registration guide for instructions.
Check out additional Privacy & Security Training and Resources:
Training Module Overview, Frequently Asked Questions, Testimonials, and Resources.
Need help or have a question?
Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm