Proof of Concepts
OntarioMD works with EMR vendors, clinicians and other partner organizations on Proof of Concepts to define and evaluate emerging EMR functional and EHR integration requirements. The outcomes from these Proof of Concepts inform future EMR Specifications to be published by OntarioMD.
OntarioMD recognizes that EMR vendor innovation is an essential component to Proof of Concept development, and values its partnership with the EMR vendor community. All EMR vendors with OntarioMD-certified EMR offerings will be selected to participate in Proof of Concepts through an invitational Request for Service (RFS) process. OntarioMD also values participation of its practicing physician community to provide first-hand insight, experience and guidance in demonstrating the clinical and practice value of its Proof of Concepts. Practicing physician members from the community are selected to participate at various stages throughout the lifecycle of the Proof of Concepts. Their selection varies and can leverage physician representatives from the community (family physicians and specialists), members of the OntarioMD Peer Leader Program, and/or physicians who are clients of the participating EMR vendors.
EMR Physician Dashboard
OntarioMD is leading an initiative that will demonstrate improvement in the clinical value of EMRs through an EMR Physician Dashboard Proof of Concept that:
- Provides a framework for real-time access to an introductory set of high-value provincial indicators from Health Quality Ontario (HQO), the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) and the Association of Family Health Teams of Ontario (AFHTO) along with indicators to improve management of physician practices, (e.g., % of eligible patients within roster who have been screened for colorectal cancer)
- Associates high-value indicators with data quality of the underlying elements, e.g., number of patients eligible for colorectal cancer screening who have no screening activity recorded in their chart
- Is provincially scalable and can be easily expanded with new and evolving data quality, practice, and clinical indicators
OntarioMD is currently working with TELUS Health, OSCAR EMR and over 100 physicians using the dashboard. A Benefits Evaluation and Final Report are being drafted to summarize key findings and recommendations for consideration in broader provincial planning.
Read the Frequently Asked Questions.
Provincial eConsult Initiative
OntarioMD is working with the Ontario Telemedicine Network eConsult and the Champlain BASE eConsult services on the Provincial eConsult Initiative. An eConsult enables family physicians and nurse practitioners (requesting clinicians) to engage in a secure, electronic dialogue with specialists to manage patient care, without the need for a face-to-face visit.
The eConsult initiative aligns with the Patients First: Action Plan for Health Care by providing faster access to specialists, connecting requesting clinicians with specialists, informing and educating requesting clinicians' clinical decisions and protecting patients from potential adverse drug events.
The Provincial eConsult Initiative is being rolled out across Ontario using a phased approach. Phase 1 was a pilot that resulted in a
Benefits Evaluation to inform the broader provincial rollout. Due to the pilot's success, it will continue as Phase 2 to March 2017 so that family physicians, nurse practitioners and their patients can keep benefiting from better access to specialist advice. During Phase 2, enhancements will be made to the OTN eConsult service to meet provincial eConsult requirements and activities will be undertaken to pilot integration between the provincial eConsult solution and OntarioMD-certified EMRs.
Phase 2 (October 2015 - March 2017)
The goals of Phase 2 are:
- Continuation of the pilot services
- Enhancement of the OTN eConsult service to meet provincial requirements
- Proof of Concept to integrate EMRs with eConsult Objectives of the Proof of Concept:
Plan for provincial expansion
- The ability to perform eConsult functions using an EMR as the point of service
- Single sign-on between the EMR and the provincial eConsult solution
- EMR Integration with the provincial eConsult solution through the provincial Health Integration Access Layer (HIAL)
OntarioMD is pleased to be working with KAI Innovations on behalf of OSCAR EMR and the OSCAR community, and also with QHR Technologies’ Accuro EMR, on the eConsult EMR Integration Proof of Concept.