Specialty Ontario EMR Specifications
The following topics are covered in the page below:
As of March 2014, there are approximately 5,550 community-based specialists in Ontario representing over 30 different specialties. While specialists are able to leverage basic EMR functionality (e.g., patient demographics, family history, immunizations, lab results, etc.), certain specialties require additional specialty-specific functionality (e.g., specialty-specific forms, tools, integration with diagnostic equipment). To address these needs, OntarioMD is consulting with several specialties to develop EMR Requirements Specifications that will result in specialty-specific certified EMRs for these specialties.
Currently, specialists have fewer choices than general practitioners when it comes to choosing an EMR. Specialists often work with EMR vendors individually to customize their EMR. OntarioMD is working with specialist groups that represent the interests of their members to offer them suitable EMR products and save them the time and effort required for individual customization.
- Want specialty-specific functionality in addition to basic EMR functionality
- Would like to know which certified EMRs are being used by their peers
- Would like to better understand specialty-specific requirements from representative groups
- Would like OntarioMD to identify specialty-specific certified EMR products
OntarioMD's approach is to promote EMR adoption and the optimization of EMR use by specialists by:
- Working directly with specialist groups to publish a common set of specialty-specific requirements
- Gathering specialists' evaluations of an EMR product's alignment to the specialty-specific requirements
- Enabling specialists to make more informed decisions when selecting an EMR by identifying the certified EMRs that have met their specialty's requirements
OntarioMD will identify certified EMR offerings that have achieved a Specialty-Specific Designation on the OntarioMD website. This designation indicates that a certified EMR offering aligns with the Specialty-Specific EMR Release and the Specialty-Specific Requirements Specification.
Specialty-Specific Certified EMR Documents
Specialty-Specific EMR Requirements Specification
Defines the specialty-specific EMR Requirements Specification
Specialty-Specific EMR Release
Defines the specialty-specific EMR Release
Specialty-Specific Certified EMR Application Form
Must be completed by the EMR vendor and submitted to OntarioMD for evaluation. A completed application form should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Specialty-Specific Certified EMR Offering Site Reference Evaluation Worksheet
Completed by the lead physician at each of the EMR site references
Specialty-Specific Certified EMR Offering Toolbox
Contains sample forms and tools provided by the specialty that are referenced in the specialty-specific EMR Requirements Specification
Specialty-Specific Certified EMR Offering Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ) - for EMR vendors
Commonly-asked questions and answers about the specialty-specific Certified EMR Offering process
Specialty-Specific Certified EMR Evaluation Process
EMR Vendors will participate in four stages to attain specialty-specific certified EMR Offering designation: Prepare, Apply, Evaluate and Publish.
The steps below explain each stage of the process with links to supporting documents.
- Select the specialty for which the EMR vendor wishes to apply. To apply for a specialty designation, an EMR Offering must fulfil the requirements defined in the Specialty-Specific EMR Release.
- Review the specialty-specific EMR release documentation.
- Review the specialty-specific EMR Requirements Specification for the specialty of interest.
- Review the specialty-specific EMR Toolbox for the specialty of interest.
- Work with three (3) separate practices that have implemented and are using a certified EMR Offering that aligns with the Specialty-Specific EMR Requirements Specification and Specialty-Specific EMR Release. All mandatory requirements outlined in the Specialty-Specific EMR Requirements Specification must be present at the EMR site reference.
- The lead physician at each EMR site reference will complete and sign the Specialty-Specific certified EMR Site Reference Evaluation Worksheet.
- Complete a Specialty-Specific Certified EMR Offering Application Form for each specialty of interest.
- Submit the completed, signed Specialty-Specific Certified EMR Offering Application Form and three (3) Specialty-Specific Certified EMR Site Reference Evaluation Worksheets to email@example.com for review.
- OntarioMD reviews the Specialty-Specific Certified EMR Offering Application Form and Specialty-Specific Certified EMR Site Reference Evaluation Worksheets and follows up with the lead physician at each EMR site reference. OntarioMD will work with the specialty committee and the EMR vendor to answer questions and resolve issues during the evaluation process.
- OntarioMD creates a Specialty-Specific Certified EMR Offering Evaluation Summary Report once the specialty evaluation is complete. OntarioMD will contact the EMR vendor to discuss the Specialty-Specific Certified EMR Offering Evaluation Summary Report before it is published.
- OntarioMD will identify certified EMR offerings that have achieved a Specialty-Specific Designation by publishing the Specialty-Specific Certified EMR Offering Evaluation Summary Report on the OntarioMD website.
Specialty-Specific Certified EMR Document Links
Artifacts related to the specialty-specific Certified EMR Offering process are available in the table below by specialty.
Application Form & FAQ
Specialty Packages - Rheumatology