Vendor Collaborative Networks
A Vendor Collaborative Network (VCN) is a series of services outlined below that physicians can obtain from the vendor of their certified EMR product.
The specific services supplied to you are:
Training: For all persons using the EMR in the practice
IT Support: For the EMR and associated hardware and communication network
Software Updates: Keeping the EMR upgraded to most current version within the required compliance period
Disaster Recovery: To ensure that patient and clinical management data can be recovered quickly and with minimal data loss
Business Continuity Plan: To ensure that you can continue in business quickly in the eventuality that your practice and/or servers are no longer available
Backups: System for daily off-site backups of critical patient and clinic management data
Data Migration: Obtain and understand the vendor's annual data migration test results; ensure clinic is able to migrate data in the event of change to a different EMR
ISO 14385-2003: Stay informed of the vendor's plan for maintaining its' ISO certification.
- Maintain critical data encryption to a strength of at least 128 bits
- Maintain the safety of all keys for decryption of critical data and usernames/passwords
- Keep all servers safe from unauthorized access or tampering
- Maintain local area network security, including the use of a stateful packet inspection firewall and router at LAN perimeter and monitoring of traffic
- Maintain in place and current all anti-virus, anti-spam, and anti-spyware system
For further information on vendors who offer the VCN service, click here.